Advocates, Awareness and Promotion
On this page you will find links to organizations around the world that advocate for and bring awareness to the various issues that women face such as domestic violence, sexual violence, rape, political discrimination and equality, health education and equality,and basic human rights that women worldwide are fighting for. These organizations are on the front lines in the war on women.
You can contact these organizations to connect, support, donate and volunteer to add your voice with theirs for change.
**IN NO WAY IS THIS A COMPLETE LIST. VISIT US DAILY, AS WE WILL BE UPDATING.
Association for Women in Development (AWID)
The organization aims at connecting, informing and mobilizing persons and organizations that work on gender equality, women’s human rights and sustainable development.
BRIDGE Gender and Development: BRIDGE Resources Website
Development-Gender (BRIDGE) is an information resource on gender mainstreaming in development.
Center for Reproductive Law and Policy
This is a legal advocacy organization that works on laws and regulations, which they believe are essential for protecting and advancing the reproductive rights of women.
Center for Women′s Global Leadership
The Center promotes the leadership of women and the advancement of feminist perspectives in policymaking processes in local, national, and international arenas.
Equality Now works for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world. Working with grassroots women’s and human rights organizations and individual activists since 1992, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and mobilizes international action to support efforts to stop these abuses.
The Gender Equality Architecture Reform Campaign (GEAR)
The GEAR Campaign invites civil society organizations and individuals from around the world to join the global campaign to create a strong new United Nations agency for women’s rights.
Human Rights Education Associates (HREA)
HREA provides Human Rights education resources to NGOs, governments, and associations alike.
Human Rights Watch – Women′s Rights Division
This is the women’s rights division of Human Rights Watch. The group stands with victims to prevent discrimination, to uphold political freedom, and to bring offenders to justice.
Institute of Development Studies (IDS)
The Institute of Development Studies is a leading global organization for research, teaching and communications on international development.
International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC)
The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) is a leading international organization dedicated to human rights advocacy on behalf of people who experience discrimination or abuse on the basis of their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
IPPF links Family Planning Associations (FPAs) worldwide to promote women’s and men’s right to the highest possible level of sexual and reproductive health and rights.
International Women′s Health Coalition (IWHC)
IWHC works to generate health and population policies, programs, and funding that promote the rights and health of women, particularly in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works in partnership with community-based women’s organizations worldwide to address issues of health and reproductive rights, economic development, education and other human rights. We provide resources and training to enable our sister organizations to meet these goals by addressing immediate needs in their communities and developing long-term solutions to the crises they face.
Siyanda: Practitioner-focused Gender Mainstreaming Website
Siyanda is an on-line database of selected gender and development materials and an interactive forum for people who work on gender mainstreaming.
Women without Borders encourages women to take the lead in their personal and public lives.
Women without Borders invests in women from all over the world as they strive toward inclusion and participation in all levels of the decision-making process, and helps them to bring their talents and energies into the public arena. In November 2008 Women without Borders launched a new global campaign: SAVE–Sisters Against Violent Extremism, the first women’s counterterrorism platform. SAVE brings together women from across the globe: victims and survivors of terrorist attacks, activists, educators, policymakers and peace-building experts from Latin America, Africa, the US, Asia, the Middle East and Europe to create a new sisterhood and contribute to a safer and more secure world.
Contact them at www.women-without-borders.org
Women′s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO)
WEDO is an international advocacy network that seeks to increase the power of women worldwide as policymakers in governance and in policymaking institutions.
Women′s Global Network for Reproductive Rights (WGNRR)
WGNRR is a worldwide network to promote and protect women′s reproductive rights.
Women′s Information Services: Mapping the World Database
This is a database where women’s organizations can be found listed by continent, language, type, country and name. Site also contains a search engine on women’s issues.
Women′s International Coalition for Economic Justice (WICEJ)
This is an international coalition that links gender with macroeconomic policy at international policymaking arenas from a human rights perspective.
WWWomen is an online resource for finding websites and sharing information and experiences related to women and motherhood.
United States of America
- American Association of University Women
- American Equal Rights Association
- American Heritage Girls
- American Woman Suffrage Association
- Association of Women Professionals
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS)
- Big Sisters
- Business and Professional Women
- Catholic Daughters of the Americas (founded in 1903)
- Chi Omega Fraternity (founded in 1895)
- Concerned Women for America
- Commercial Real Estate Women
- Daughters of the American Revolution – Historical society (founded 1890)
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers – Historical society (founded 1919)
- Degree of Pocahontas
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. – founded in 1913
- Equal Rights Advocates
- Family of Women
- Feminists for Life
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- General Federation of Women’s Clubs (1890)
- Girl Scouts of the United States of America
- Junior League
- La Leche League
- League of Women Voters
- Mommy Mentors
- National American Woman Suffrage Association
- National Association of Female Executives
- National Association of Professional Women (NAPW)
- National Association of University Women (NAUW)
- National Council of Jewish Women
- National Council of Negro Women
- National Council of Women of the United States – founded in 1888, affiliated with the International Council of Women
- National Organization for Women (NOW)
- National Woman Suffrage Association
- National Woman’s Party – suffrage organization founded in 1913 by Alice Paul
- National Women’s Political Caucus
- Pythian Sisters
- Rebekah Degree
- Royal Neighbors of America
- Refugee Women’s Network
- Sertoma Club
- The S4W Foundation
- The Sow4Women Organization
- U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- Veteran Feminists of America
- Woman’s Christian Temperance Union
- Women In Prison
- Women of Visionary Influence
- Women Open Network
- Women Organized to Resist and Defend
- Women’s Bowling Congress
- Woman’s Missionary Union
- Women’s Refugee Commission
- Younger Women’s Task Force
- World Wide Women Group
- WISE (Organization for Women in Self Employment)
- Africa Desk of the Women Peacemakers Program (WPP) of IFOR (International Fellowship of Reconciliation)
- IDW (Initiative for Disabled Women, Nigeria)
- UWONET (Uganda Women’s Network)
- Visionary Lady International (VLI)
- Women’sNet (South African support for women activists using technology)
- WOUGNET (Women of Uganda Network)
- South African Council for Business Women (SACBW)
- Aisyiyah, Indonesian bases women’s organization
- All-China Women’s Federation (ACWF)
- Muslimat NU, Indonesian women’s organization
- Na’amat, Israeli based women’s organization
- National Alliance of Taiwan Women’s Associations (NATWA)
- Nirantar – A Centre for Gender and Education India
- WomensHub (Philippines support for women activists using technology)
- Australian Women’s Health Network
- Country Women’s Association
- Emily’s List (Australian Labor Party organisation for the equalising of women in politics, started by Joan Kirner)
- National Council of Women of Australia – founded 1888, affiliated with the International Council of Women
- Queen Victoria Women’s Centre Trust
- Women’s Electoral Lobby
- Women’s Forum Australia
Al Nadim Center for the Management and Rehabilitation of Victims of Violence
Arab Center for the Independence of the Judiciary
Arab Organization for Human Rights
Association of Development and Enhancement of Women In Egypt
- Amnesty for women
- Domine – Feminist Association for Promoting Women’s Rights and Development of Civil Society
- European Feminist Forum
- European Women’s Lobby
- Terre des Femmes
- Country Association for Women’s Suffrage active from 1902-1921
- British Women’s Institute
- Dublin Women’s Suffrage Association fought for women’s suffrage
- Irish Women’s Franchise League women’s suffrage group founded in 1908
- Junior League
- Ladies Circle
- League of Jewish Women
- National Society for Women’s Suffrage
- National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies major woman’s suffrage group
- National Women’s Register (NWR) A network of local groups and individual members who enjoy lively discussion and conversation
- The Association of Loyal Orangewomen of Ireland
- Women’s Social and Political Union a major suffrage organization in the United Kingdom